Wow. I turn 40 this week. That just seems so weird to me to think about and hear out loud.
It always seemed like a far-off land…my 40s. Maybe it’s because I’ve always felt way younger in spirit and that number seemed to entail me accomplishing things like finding my soul mate, living in a house that the two of us built, and trying to keep up with a handful of mini versions of me running around. Alas, here I am…still searching for that soul mate, renting a garage apartment, and really not wanting to ever have kids of my own. I could be all “woe-is-me” about it…and honestly, sometimes I have my moments of doing exactly that. But actually, life is good how it is right now. And now that age 40 is upon me, all I can think is, “Maybe 40 isn’t what I envisioned, but maybe it’s even better than that!”
And while I’ve thought about this the last few days, it has caused me to do some reflection on how much I have grown over the last 40 years. And no I don’t just mean physically (or the size of my waistline…which quite possibly has! lol). But with regard to how much I have grown into the person I am today and the wealth of knowledge I’ve gained over the last four decades. And I thought why not share it with some of my favorite people and hopefully you will find some inspiration in there for yourself to help you keep looking at the bright side of getting old! Lol.
So without further ado….here are 40 things I’ve learned in my 40 years! I hope you enjoy!
(PS, be sure to scroll to the bottom to see a flashback in time of old photos!)
1. If you can’t learn to fail, you fail to learn.
2. Everyone just wants to feel loved.
3. Recognize your courage and don’t belittle it.
4. The only one that can truly motivate you is yourself.
5. Your circumstances do not create your life. Your thoughts about those circumstances do.
6. Suffering only comes when you resist reality.
7. Which also means that it never comes from the person/things you are blaming.
8. Do things because they fulfill you. Don’t ever expect something in return.
9. If you never try, you never know.
10. Kindness is far more rewarding than being malevolent.
11. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will either.
12. While we wait for life to happen, it also passes us by.
13. Worrying will never change your future, and anxiety will never change your past.
14. Thoughts are not facts. Don’t believe everything you think.
15. Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
16. The people that are worth your time are the ones that give you theirs.
17. The loudest person in the room is often the most insecure.
18. Your life is as good as your mindset.
19. How you make others feel about themselves says a lot about you.
20. Collect moments, not things.
21. Learn to say no without explaining yourself. You don’t need an excuse.
22. Being busy isn’t a badge of courage. It’s an unmanaged mind.
23. Self-love is not selfish.
24. If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never get it.
25. There are no regrets in life. Just lessons learned.
26. Your only limit is you.
27. You don’t grow when you are comfortable.
28. Anyone who doesn’t see your value cannot be valuable to you.
29. Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for what it is.
30. A simple smile can brighten a person’s whole day.
31. Change is the only constant.
32. Consistent small steps lead to big gains.
33. Good enough is better than not at all.
34. Surround yourself with people that push you to be the best version of yourself.
35. There is beauty in simplicity.
36. When you shift your work focus towards serving others instead of earning a living, you reap far more rewards.
37. Comparison is the biggest thief of joy.
38. The only person you ever need to impress is yourself.
39. Perspective is one of your greatest teachers.
40. When deciding what is the best thing to do, ask yourself, “What would love do?”
Which of the 40 things was your favorite? Or did you have a favorite photo that you love that I shared above?
Drop a comment below and let me know which one!